How To Clean A Mattress – A Step-by-Step Guide
Mattresses are purchased with the mindset of using them for a longer time. Your good sleep is also dependent on your mattress. Therefore, you need to clean and maintain them properly. Did you know that your mattress serves as a home for around 10,000 dust mites and bacteria? It can bring numerous diseases to your bedroom. Moreover, they need to be cleaned on a regular basis. It will also avoid various kinds of damage. Therefore, you must know about the proper mattress cleaning guide. This mattress cleaning guide is the solution to all your problems. It will also help you to protect your mattress.
Follow These Simple Steps To Deep Clean Your Mattress-
Step 1- Collect The Things Required For Cleaning-
- Vacuum with an upholstery attachment
- Enzyme cleaner or dish soap
- Laundry detergent
- Baking Soda
- Cleaning clothes
- Cold Water
Step 2- Remove the bed sheet and wash the bedding- Along with the mattress, it is important to clean the pillows, sheets and mattress cover too. You can clean them in the washing machine while you clean your mattress. You can use hot water to get rid of the dust mites from the bedding. For cleaning your pillows you must watch the label of your pillows and select the cleaning method accordingly. This is an important step to deep clean your mattress quickly and easily.
Step 3- Vacuum The Mattress- Vacuuming the mattress is the first and the most important before cleaning the mattress. It will help in removing all kinds of dirt and dust particles that are present on the mattress. Make sure the mattress is dry before you start cleaning it properly. To clean the mattress thoroughly you must vacuum all the corners of the mattress.
Step 4- Spot Clean Your Mattress With A Stain Remover- One of the important steps to deep clean your mattress quickly and easily is to spot clean your mattress. Once you vacuum your mattress using a vacuum cleaner, make sure you remove the stains from the mattress. One thing you must take care of is that you do not apply water or the cleaning solution to the memory foam. Choose the stain remover depending on the type of stain that has formed on your mattress. For biological stains buy enzyme cleaners. Spray the cleaner on a clean cloth and blot on the stains and keep blotting until the stain is removed completely. This step is useful in cleaning all types of stubborn stains such as blood, urine, sweat and all other types of stains.
Step 5- Sprinkle Baking Soda On The Mattress- Once you spot-clean the mattress using a stain remover, sprinkle baking soda all over the mattress. Sprinkle baking soda on the surface of the mattress and leave it for several hours, you can also keep it overnight. The longer you keep baking soda on the mattress the more the chances are to remove the stains from the mattress. This is also an important step to deep clean your mattress quickly and easily.
Step 6- Vacuum Again- Once the baking soda settles on the mattress and absorbs all the stains and smell from the mattress you can vacuum again and remove the baking soda alongside the stains and dirt.
Step 7- Flip The Mattress- Once the mattress is deep cleaned from one side you can flip it to another side and start cleaning it. Repeat all the steps from 1 to 6 on the other side as well. This will help in deep cleaning the mattress from both sides.
You can also use the steam cleaning method in between to get a more effective result. Once the mattress is cleaned, if you don’t find the desired result repeat the process to get a better result.
Step 8- Use A Mattress Protector- A mattress protector is a sheet that is used to avoid stains and accumulation of dust on the mattress. There are many types of mattress protectors available in the market, choose the best one.
Ways to Remove Various Other Things From Mattress
There can be many types of problems that require a different technique to be taken care of. Here are some of them:
- Removing Dust Mites- Dust mites are tiny eight-legged creatures. They are too small to be seen with the naked eye. These tiny insects are present in huge numbers to feed on dead human skin. A moist environment like that under a pillow is preferable for them. There are 3 most common ways to get rid of them, freezing them, heating them, and poisoning them. The easiest is to heat them using hot water to clean mattresses and regular vacuuming would help.
- Protection from Bed bugs- Bed Bugs are blood-sucking creatures. They are reddish-brown and 5mm long. Additionally, they leave black or brown defecating skin behind and that could be dangerous. These creatures also prefer to live in a moist environment. Therefore, you can use the same techniques to remove them. Vacuuming is also a good option.
- Remove Blood Stains- They are the protein stains for which speed is the cure. The faster you remove the stains, the easier they can be removed. One way is to use cool water and dip the cloth in it and rub on the stain to remove it. The other is to mix 2 parts of hydrogen peroxide and 1 part of dish soap. Pour it on the stain and let it rest for 5 minutes. Gently brush it with a toothbrush and wait for 5 minutes and then wipe it off with a damped cloth.
- Removing Vomit stains- To remove vomit stains, first of all, you must wash the mattress with hot water and dry it out. Note that damping is the key to effective cleaning not rubbing. Then spread hydrogen peroxide without scattering it. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Use a dry towel to soak it up. If still some stain remains, put some baking soda over it and then brush it off and vacuum the mattress.
- Removing Sweat Stains- A human body sweats up to a litre of water every night. This could definitely affect the mattress. Therefore, to clean, prepare a solution of 3 tablespoons of baking soda, 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, and 1 drop of dish soap. Apply the solution to the mattress and let it dry. After that, sprinkle baking soda over it and let it overnight. After that, vacuum the mattress to remove sweat stains.
- Removing Urine Stains- Having small ones at your house brings up the problem of urine stains on the mattress. To deal with this you can either use an enzyme-based cleaning product on that area. Also, you can prepare the above-mentioned solution and follow the same steps to remove sweat stains. This will help you to get rid of the urine stains effectively.
Ping Our Team To Provide You With The Best Mattress Cleaning Service
Rejuvenate Mattress Cleaning provides the best mattress cleaning services. Our company provides you with the most affordable service. We also provide you with same-day services. Our expert team makes use of highly advanced equipment for the most effective treatment. Moreover, our professionals make use of organic chemicals and spray to ensure your safety. We assure you to keep your mattress so clean and tidy, that it would appear just like the new one. In addition to that, our team will guide you to the proper ways to clean your mattress. Also, we will make you aware of the different stain removal techniques. So, call us now for the best mattress cleaning guide and service.